Hi,

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Gary Furnish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe.  I see two real issues.
> 1) Sage right now has really bad global namespace pollution issues that make
> it very hard to import just one or two files.  I don't see why this
> shouldn't be fixable, it just needs someone to work on it.  This would not
> be that hard, and would probably catch some subtle import bugs in the
> process.
>
> 2) Every cython file compiles to an separate dll, dramatically increasing
> used space.  This would require a change to cython to fix, but ought to be
> doable.  Maybe space is not as big of an issue as ease of use though.
>
> The main dependency of the calculus package right now is on ZZ and RR.  If
> an alternate integer and real ring was provided with no external
> dependencies, it could be easily modified to use them.  Maybe including gmp
> isn't an issue for you, however.  This is not something I am opposed to
> doing (as it is simple to implement) but I don't want to do the work (to
> create dependency free rings) myself.  If I was provided such rings, I would
> have no problem adding an option for my calculus system to use them.
>
> In short, if there was real interest and this, and someone (you?) wanted to
> help with it, I'd get behind the idea very quickly.  I would very much like
> to see the sage.symbolics package useable without importing all of Sage.

Thanks all of you for your replies. I think 1) is just a technical
problem, that can (and probably will) be fixed. The same applies to
2).

The real problem are dependencies, but as William has said, Sage will
hopefully get there too. It's a long journey though.
But I'll try to keep this in mind when developing SymPy.

To answer Garry's quesiton - I'll become interested when I can use
sage.calculus instead of sympy in my own projects, by providing a
small (~ couple MB) package to the user - preferably as part of my
project. I'll wait when your new symbolics get into Sage and then I'll
think how it could be reused etc.

Take for example our finite element solver written in Python + C
mainly by Robert Cimrman:

http://code.google.com/p/sfepy/

It has 4.5MB - so depending on 200MB Sage (or "just" 50MB
sage.calculus) is not a solution that I'd like. (We'd like to use
sympy for calculating some basis functions integrals and maybe other
things).

Ondrej