In an unrelated topic, William Stein wrote
> just listing things you wish the notebook could do
> that we haven't thought through clearly yet is in itself I think
> very valuable

Here is a possible list that I hope will get modified / added to:

- a standard means of adding javascript statements
  in the header of the notebook html page
  (per notebook, and/or globally)
- notebook sage code in a frame
- style sheet associated with individual notebooks or globally
- dividing the notebook into successive pages, with simple way
  of adding prev,next,up navigation links, and an outline in a
separate frame
  (Note the implication for computation/recomputation in a notebook.
  A possible extension to the current choices might be recompute all
  up to and including current cell.)
- How to: instructions on how to edit notebook html pages
  in a user's prefered external editor(s), with whatever restrictions
  (What I have in mind is inserting html statements directly,
  rather than with sage print statements in (incompletely) hidden
cells).
- Easy means of combining/splitting cells
- Modification of the cursor positioning following 'shift-enter' in a
cell:
  leave it at the end of the current cell. Getting to the next cell is
trivial
  given the binding to the right arrow key. The current behavior is
extremely
  confusing on long outputs from a computation.

-gerhard