On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 1:01 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I hope you fix this and submit a patch :-)

Yeah I know talk is cheap. :-) but if there is no users what is the point?
Same happened to the livecd. I was thinking on creating an optional package
for OpenAxiom but just a a learning thing for myself.

>  A good unifying graphical interface is extremely important to creating
>  something that is a viable alternative to
>  Maple/Mathematica/Magma/Matlab.  In some sense it is perhaps it
>  is *the* most important thing.

I look forward to this.

>  Waldek has been very helpful getting Axiom to stay an optional
>  Sage package, by making it easy to build with clisp.

Fricas :-)

>  From the point of view of the future and developers, my impression
>  is that neither project excites a lot of modern developers because
>  they are written in lisp and ALDOR.  This is just an observation,
>  and I'm not making any claims about the quality of either language
>  or trying to start a flame war.   It's just that language choices do
>  influence the type of programmers one gets:
>     http://www.paulgraham.com/pypar.html

Yeah I think the use of a mainstream language like python in the case
of Sage was a very good one.

>  Bill Page did a lot of heroic work which we greatly appreciate, and we
>  learned a great deal from him.  Thanks Bill!!

Yes he does. He is a very good voice to have on any project.

>  By the way, regarding Sage, though I'm the lead developer decision
>  making is done via some form of voting.  The main reasons for this is
>  so that we can more efficiently make more correct decisions, and also
>  to reduce the Sage bus factor.

As it should be. Thank you.