On Apr 28, 4:22 pm, rjf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

Hi,

> > let me first begin by saying that, as politely as I can, Fateman's
> > email are as close to FUD as it can get. He doesn't seem to use ECL at
> > all and just judges from some outdated webpages
>
> If the web pages are out of date, why not remove them?
>
> > and his own prejudices
> > about different software libraries.
>
> > Regarding the different points which have been raised:
>
> > * GNU MP is only used for bignum computations. ECL itself is clever
> > enough to handle fixnums cleverly and even to unbox fixnum
> > computations in compiled code. Incidentally, GCL uses GMP as well, so
> > I do not see the point all.
>
> Thank you for this information. Unfortunately Michael said the
> sourceforge
> page was mostly out of date and  pointed me to
> this:http://ecls.wiki.sourceforge.net/space/showimage/eclm2008.pdf
>
> rather than some useful manual, which I just found via Google at
> uh, sourceforge, the place I was told not to look. Thanks Michael.

I said *mostly* out of date. This come up on the ecl mailing list some
time last month. It might have been corrected in the mean time. Juan
might be able to shed some light on this. I have never actively gone
out and look for what is current on the ecl website and what not. The
above presentation was given by Juan last week, so I assumed its
content is correct. I also never claimed a bunch of the things you
criticized and merely pointed out to the different design decisions
ecl is taking which makes it much more suitable to the needs of Sage.

> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s02.html

Cheers,

Michael