Interesting discussion.

Sorry to have misread David Roe's -1:  as several people noticed,
thanks to gmail's habit of hiding quoted text I mistakenly thought he
was disagreeing with me and took umbrage.

David K's suggestions look very sensible to me, and I know that he is
speaking from experience of the "rival" system.  I agree to leave
hermitian things until later;  for myself, I want lattices  which are
f.g. projective modules over more general Dedekind Domains, but that
will be a different thing to implement and I will not mess up the
current discussion by insisting that we go for such generality right
away.

John