Hi Tim,

I compiled the last snapshot and it compiled in decent time, i.e. 14
minutes CPU time on sage.math.

On the other hand: I couldn't find the python bindings, neither in the
sf tarball nor the sf svn/cvs repo. Any pointers? I couldn't find any
reference to python in any file:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/scratch/mabshoff/magnus20060530$ grep -r "*[Pp]ython*"
*
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/scratch/mabshoff/magnus20060530

A couple other things I noticed:

 * dependencies are [re]created each time the code is compiled. Since
that isn't exactly cheap why not check the dependency files in? In the
projects where I have worked they are in CVS and the developers know
to recreate them per makefile if changes require the recreation.
 * There are certainly some odd things going on at dependency creation
time, i.e. the "correction" of paths and so on.
 * CC is *overwritten* with g++ when the makefile needs to compile C++
files.
 * while there is some documentation the format is not in something
that seems easily extractable. I.e. I poked around in back_end/groups
and while the header files usually contain a lot of info, i.e. on the
design, the member functions usually do not document the input and
output parameters.

Cheers,

Michael