>   - It suffers from the "I can do it better", do-it-yet-again-in-python
>    syndrome, where it will be discovered that python is too slow
>    so we need to rewrite it in Cython and do obscure, undocumented,
>    performance enhancing software hacks.

Unfortunately computers live in the physical world, not the
theoretical world.  Ugly performance enhancing software hacks are
often needed to make theoretical algorithms viable.

>   - It suffers from the "OpenMath" communication issue (e.g. if you
>    take an Axiom expression, export it to maple, compute with it,
>    and re-import it to Axiom you have violated a lot of type
>    assumptions in Axiom, possibly violated branch cut assumptions
>    (e.g. acosh), done invalid simplifications, and any number of
>    violent mathematical mistakes)

If merely by exporting the data and re-importing it you have violated
assumptions, then Axiom is broken and needs a better exporting system.