On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I think this is interesting too but was unable to compile it nor get
>  the binary to work.

So I downloaded these two packages for scilab-5.0-beta-1:

http://www.scilab.org/download/5.0-beta-1/prerequirements-scilab-5.0-beta-1-src.tar.gz
http://www.scilab.org/download/5.0-beta-1/scilab-5.0-beta-1-src.tar.gz

Doing ./configure kept failing until I got everything it needed,
except matio (http://sourceforge.net/projects/matio) since I couldn't
find it in Ubuntu 8.04.

Summarizing, here's what needs to be done:

$ sudo apt-get install gfortran sun-java6-jdk ant libncurses5-dev
ocaml-native-compilers libxml2-dev lapack3-dev atlas3-base-dev
libpcre3-dev tcl-dev tk-dev

These are the dependencies... talking about multiple languages:
fortran, java, ocaml, tcl/tk... I found this link after all that
experimentation: http://wiki.scilab.org/Dependencies_of_Scilab_5.X

Package: gfortran -- Description: The GNU Fortran 95 compiler
Package: sun-java6-jdk -- Description: Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
Package: ant -- Description: Java based build tool like make
Package: libncurses5-dev -- Description: Developer's libraries and
docs for ncurses
Package: ocaml-native-compilers -- Description: Native code compilers
of the ocaml suite (the .opt ones)
Package: libxml2-dev -- Description: Development files for the GNOME XML library
Package: lapack3-dev -- Description: library of linear algebra
routines 3 - static version
Package: atlas3-base-dev -- Description: Automatically Tuned Linear
Algebra Software,generic static
Package: libpcre3-dev -- Description: Perl 5 Compatible Regular
Expression Library - development files
Package: tcl-dev -- Description: The Tool Command Language (default
version) - development files
Package: tk-dev -- Description: The Tk toolkit for Tcl and X11
(default version) - development files

$ ./configure --without-matio
$ make all

It build successfully, but then...

$ ./scilab-bin
/home/hector/scilab/scilab-5.0-beta-1/.libs/lt-scilab-bin: error while
No such file or directory

This is all running within VMware with Mac OS X as host system:
$ uname -a
Linux ah-kan 2.6.24-16-server #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:58:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        8.04