On May 18, 1:14 am, Francois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Sage is pretty unique in the way all these packages are distributed in
> > source form. I'm not convinced this uniqueness is a good thing, but
> > perhaps I am wrong.
>
> On my linux desktop, ark - the kde front end to compression programs
> -
> identify them easily as tar.bz2 but ask for confirmation.
> As for applying patch, when I was working with a mainly "monolithic"
> sage on Gentoo that's pretty much what I was doing. I even wrote a set
> of commands to automate it as much as possible. I don't know if cpio
> would handle tar.bz2 in which case it probably would be a better way.
>
> Francois

I guess one could make a script to simplyify the process of making
changes to the .spkg files somewhat. But the fact the source is
distributed in large compressed files means that even the simplest
change will need a new .spkg file to be made. If someone else has made
that change, and you want to use it, you have to download a
large .spkg file.

In contrast, if the actual source files could be checked out from a
CVS (or whatever) repositry, then it would be much easier to keep up
to date. A change of a few bytes in one file will only need a few
bytes to be downloaded, not a multi-megabyte .spkg file.