Hello Sage team,

great work so far, keep pushing forward!
I've got the following question:

Does a new SPKG, whose contents are licensed under GPLv3+ ("three
plus"),
fulfil your license requirement in order to become part of the Sage
core?

In your Wiki (http://www.sagemath.org:9001/spkg/InclusionProcedure?
highlight=%28SPKG%29)
you say "GPL version 2+ compatible license.", regarding e.g. JSAGE you
say
(http://www.sagemath.org/jsage/guidelines.html):
"License: All software that is published in JSAGE must be licensed
under
 a "GPL v2 or later"-compatible license.".

By "GPLv3+" I mean licensed using the usual catchphrase:
"The xyzprog is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.",
referring to the "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3, 29 June 2007".
(And analogously "GPLv2+", referring to GPL "Version 2, June 1991";
 LGPL is the "Lesser" version of a GPL licence.)

GPLv3+ is more restrictive than GPLv2+, both in theory and in
practice,
so my question above is not so innocent as it might seem at first.

Parts of the current SAGE v3.0.2 are licensed (L)GPLv3+, and there is
the SAGE motto:

    "Building the car instead of reinventing the wheel".

This would lead to a strong assumption that the answer to my question
above is "Yes" anyway.

However, the fine distinction between (L)GPLv2+ and (L)GPLv3+ was
one of the keypoints in the recent (ongoing?) generation-conflict
flamewar
on the mailing-list "gmp-discuss", an outtake from the middle of which
was posted in the Sage Project Blog
(see "http://planet.sagemath.org/";, entry from May 29th).

I do not want to discuss this here, I just want clarity
about the Sage team's policy regarding the future inclusion of
GPLv3+'ed code into the mainline Sage core.
(Say explicitly extending ".../sage/modular/modsym/").

If there's a quick answer, good.
(I might have been missing something, please just tell me, thanks!)
If your answer takes some time, that's OK for me, too.

Zum Wohl!
gsw