William Stein wrote:

> In fact looking through the actual source code, it mostly says
> "Copyright William F. Schelter" or "See the GNU General Public
> License for more details.  You should have received a copy of
> the GNU General Public License."  The top level of the maxima
> distribution contains the standard GPLv2 license file, which
> is "GPLv2+", since it contains the phrase "If the Program does
> not specify a version number of this License, you may choose
> any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

On considering this, I believe you are correct. Although the license
Schelter included in his distribution was GPL v2, Schelter never
specified the revision number to the best of my knowledge.
Therefore (according to the license itself) licensees can choose
any version (not just v2+).

I don't think that allows present-day contributors to change
the license to v2+ or v3+ (i.e. to exclude certain versions).

But since v3 is among "any version ever published" it seems like
the use of Maxima in Sage is OK. Yes/no/maybe ?

best

Robert Dodier