On Jun 2, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Harald Schilly wrote:

> Hi, just some short comments by me, since I'm responsible ;)
>
> On Jun 2, 7:58 pm, Robert Bradshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> On May 31, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Andrey Novoseltsev wrote:
>> Also, I think it might be better for the text to be left-
>> justified (but still centered in the page).
>
> Yeahr, well, HTML is a bit limited to do layouts and to stay simple
> and maintainable at the same time. Since the rest of the page is
> centered, I am for centering the text above, too. This would break
> it ...
> About the requested line-break, yes, I've already told others about
> this and that it doesn't look so good. Also keep in mind, that you
> have already looked at that page over and over again in different
> versions. So, you are biased. Try to think as someone who sees the
> page the first time. This means, that some parts focus your attention
> that don't focus yours now!

Very true. And don't hesitate to let me know if I'm giving too much
feedback :-).

>> Perhaps it would look better if the label was vertically centered on
>> the graphic (or at least more so) rather than the sub-label being
>> centered there.
>
> Sorry ,but what exactly do you mean? The current menu is probably the
> most simplistic one I could imagine. The only important point is, that
> the sub-menu needs a smaller font than the menu and stays below. The
> alignment itself works well (in all browsers) and everybody
> understands how it works...

Sorry, I was talking about the buttons (which I really like, BTW).
Just a minor tweak:

>>> 3) The top and bottom of "Download and Media" header on the download
>>> page are cut in Firefox under WinXP with large fonts on.
>>
>> How hard would it be to sort these by platform (according to browser
>> information?). [...] Right now the Windows download is
>> the only thing I see (have to scroll down for other options).
>
> I have collected some ideas from other pages and I think i know how to
> do this. The important point I still want to maintain is the ability
> to download for all platforms. So, just preselecting, but no pre-
> censoring!

For sure.

> But can we just leave it for now until the page is finally online?

Probably best to test it out before the site goes live, but if it's
going to be a lot of work than it's not worth holding things back for.

> Once it is clear how the prebuilt binaries will work out, I'll start
> working on that page to keep it shorter, include more about the
> binaries and DVD
>
>> I think
>> the blurb could be shorter too (just say a native port is in the
>> works).
>
> If you know a better formulation, could you email it me?

Just trimming it down a bit, how about:

"Sage depends on many components which are not yet available for
Microsoft Windows. A native port is in the works. The current VMWare
Image provides you with an encapsulated and solid tested system and
contains everything and needs nearly no configuration."

>>> 8) Maybe emphasize in "DVD" section that one can freely make extra
>>> copies of the bought DVD and use on as many machines as desired?
>>
>> +1
>
> ok
>

>>> 9) It is also not very clear what exactly is "Sage on DVD" - source
>>> code, binaries, "live DVD," all of it? It is explained on the order
>>> page, but can be added to the site as well, I think.
>>
>> Good point. For the record, it's source + binaries for OS X/VMware/
>> linux + documentation. It's mostly for people with limited bandwidth
>> or who like to hold a physical DVD, provided at cost (zero revenue
>> for us).
>
> thx ;)

One more comment (on content), the I like breaking up the "Feature
tour," but the research section should probably be highly re-written
to be a bit more high-level. (E.g. mention all the fields it covers:
Number Theory, Combinatorics, Numerics, Linear Algebra, ...)

- Robert