On Jun 4, 12:51 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Jun 4, 5:13 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello folks,

Hi David,

> > with malb's libSingular fix we are down from 120+ segfaults to about
> > 100 doctest failures, none of them segfaults. While that does not look
> > like much of an improvement nearly all of those errors are caused by
> > the following few issues:
>
> >  * notebook: /dev/random's entropy too low? -> hangs/slow startup?
>
> How about changing to /dev/urandom ?

Well, I have seens the same problem on other Solaris boxen and we do
not explicitly  just /dev/random, but we do so via GNUTLS. We might
patch GNUTLS slightly on Solaris, but up to know it isn't 100% clear
to my why  this happens.

> That guarantees to not block, but obviosuly the flip side is the data
> is not as random. I assume it uses some software method, to generate
> data, completely independant of hardware when there is insufficient
> data from hardware. Only guessing, I don't really know.
>
> > The plan now is to get 3.0.3 building on a x86-64 Solaris box since I
> > have Maxima 5.15.0 + clisp 2.45.0 working on there and can dump sbcl
> > from the Sparc box. We also merged some Singular pexpect fix into
> > 3.0.1, so what we are seeing here is another Singular+pexpect bug. I
> > am sure William will track that one down.
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Michael
>
> As I said in another post, I've currently not got my x86 laptop, but I
> still have the Sun SPARC. I will try to find time to test the latest
> code on this.

Ok. The main reason I am switching to an x86-64 build box besides
clisp is that it builds much more quickly since the Opterons in there
are better in that regard than the 1.5GHz US 3is. It is also quite
easy for people to run Solaris x86-64 in a VMWare image. Obviously
Sparc hardware should be fully supported.

Cheers,

Michael