I think it would be useful if there were two fixed links

http://www.sagemath.org/dist/src/very-latest-release.tar
http://www.sagemath.org/dist/src/very-latest-release.md5

so one had a *permanent* link to the latest version, no matter if its
an alpha, beta, release or whatever.

It would then be relatively easy to check for a new release and if one
exits to download it and compile without human intervention. (i.e test
in a cron job). A developer with a slightly obscure system could then
make the results of the build available to all on a web page by
putting the last 500 or so lines in a web page.

I'll soon be out of England on business and will have little time to
work on Sage. But if there was a way to download the latest version
from a fixed URL, then I could put the results in a web page as soon
as the compile has finished.

As long as the md5 checksum was in a small file, it would not be
necessary to download 200 MB file only to find its the same as the
version one already has.

Dave