Hello,

I was invited to the on-going Sage developer days workshop.
http://sagemath.org http://wiki.sagemath.org/dev1
I gave a little presentation about Maxima.
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/misc/maxima-opinions.pdf

Sage is a really exciting project in many ways. I think merging
different computational systems is a very useful goal. In Maxima
there is a similar trend although less extensive since at present
it is required that stuff be translated to Lisp. The new
computational stuff for exact linear algebra, modular forms, and
other topics is very interesting and a great contribution.
Maybe in some form some of that would someday be ported
to Maxima.

I'm somewhat less excited by the subproject to write new
symbolic manipulation code for Sage. Sorry to say it, but it seems
like a reinvention of the wheel. Maybe that's unavoidable;
and maybe you'll do a better job of it than Maxima!

Sage is a great project and it was terrific to meet William Stein
and everyone else. Many thanks to William for the invitation.
I look forward to further collaboration.

best

Robert Dodier