On 14 Jul, 23:25, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> since Sage on Solaris is more than a little tricky to build at the
> moment I packaged up a 3.0.5 build at
>
>    http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.0.5/sa...
>
> Notice that it still has some serious bugs in it (41 doctests fail),

I'm just downloaded your binary to my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-SZ4XWN/C
Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB  RAM), but gnu tar thinks the file is too
corrupt.

$  gtar xfz sage-3.0.5-sse3-i86pc-SunOS_BETA.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

According to ls -l, the file is 139557984 bytes long. Here's the
checksum:

$  digest -v -a md5  sage-3.0.5-sse3-i86pc--SunOS_BETA.tar.gz

md5 (sage-3.0.5-sse3-i86pc-SunOS_BETA.tar.gz) =
5f206b211d29e5c49518de8982ac92bc

Since I have had half a dozen beers tonight, that might possibly be
the issues, but I doubt it. I'll try to download again.

The OS here on my laptop is Solaris Express, Community Edition, Build
93. That was released < 2 weeks ago.

I would be interested in a SPARC version. The machine I have is a
Blade 2000, 2 x 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM. That has Solaris 10, update 4
(August 2007).

However, more than anything I'd like to see the patches you have
integrated into a new release and some notes on the process you use to
build your tool chain. There is not so much someone can do to help
debug code from a binary.

Like Vincent, I believe there would be interest from Solaris users who
do not subscribe here, but I  think it would be premature to advertise
a binary in Solaris newsgroups. Obvious places would be
comp.unix,solaris, alt.solaris.x86 and a couple of the OpenSolaris
forums. I know there have been several Mathematica discussions on the
Solaris forums.

You could actually beat Wolfram Research to a Computer Algebra System
on Solaris x86 on Intel, as Wolfram's Mathematica only runs on ADM
CPUs, not Intel ones if the OS is Solaris x86. Netiher Maple or MATLAB
run on Solaris x86.

I've managed to hack Mathematica by replacing a couple of the
libraries supplied by Wolfram Research with those supplied by Sun as
part of Sun Studio 12., The libraries from Wolfram Research need the
AMD_3DNOW instructions, but those from Sun do not. But there is no
offical support for Intel CPUs on Solaris x86 from Wolfram Research,
although it can be made to work.

> but it is self contained and as long as you have Solaris 10 and SSE3
> it should be good enough to play around with. If there is interest I
> can also provide a Sparc binary. Please provide some feedback in case
> you care about Sage on Solaris.

Sure. In fact, I would probably try it more, as I tend to use my Blade
2000 more than the laptop.

> I am in the process of adding more details on the known bug to
>
>    http://wiki.sagemath.org/solaris

Some more information would be useful, as I would like to try to build
from source, but I'm not over keen on trying to fix problems you are
aware of, and know how to solve.

It's great to see a Solaris port progress. At a later date, you could
try getting Sage on the OpenSolaris DVD images. Sum might well do
that.

Dave