On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Fredrik Johansson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mpmath version 0.9 is now available from the website:
> http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/
>
> It can also be downloaded from the Python Package Index:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mpmath/0.9
>
> Mpmath is a pure-Python library for arbitrary-precision
> floating-point arithmetic that implements an extensive set of
> mathematical functions. It can be used as a standalone library
> or via SymPy (http://code.google.com/p/sympy/).
>
> The most significant change in 0.9 is that mpmath now transparently
> uses GMPY (http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/) integers instead of
> Python's builtin integers if GMPY is installed. This makes mpmath
> much faster at high precision. Computing 1 million digits of pi,
> for example, now only takes ~10 seconds.
>
> Extensive benchmarks (with and without GMPY) are available here:
> http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/bench/mpbench.html
>
> Credit goes to Case Van Horsen for implementing GMPY support.
>
> There are many new functions, including Jacobi elliptic functions
> (contributed by Mike Taschuk), various exponential integrals,
> Airy functions, Fresnel integrals, etc. Several missing basic
> utility functions have also been added, and Mario Pernici has
> taken great care to optimize the implementations of various
> elementary functions.
>
> For a more complete changelog, see:
> http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/CHANGES
>
> Bug reports and other comments are welcome at the issue tracker:
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list
>
> or the mpmath mailing list:
> http://groups.google.com/group/mpmath
>
> Thanks to all who contributed code or provided feedback for
> this release!

Great job!

As I suggested on IRC, maybe a nice area to try is to use Cython to
speed mpmath up to the level of other similar libraries, like mpfr.

What I like on it is that it's hackable and portable, being in pure
python, and for some things it is even faster than Sage:

E.g. in sympy+gmpy:

In [3]: time a = pi.evalf(10**6)
CPU times: user 5.13 s, sys: 0.04 s, total: 5.17 s
Wall time: 5.19 s

Sage 3.1.1:

sage: time a = pi.n(digits=10**6)
CPU times: user 14.06 s, sys: 0.06 s, total: 14.12 s
Wall time: 14.34 s

So while mpfr is probably faster for most other things, mpmath is a
good library as default in sympy. When we incorporate our new core in
sympy in coming weeks, I am sure we could do some interesting
benchmarks with symbolics + numerical evaluation.

Ondrej