Hi!

On Aug 24, 2:59 am, Carl Witty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We can just use cmp(), if we want.  Python lets you define < and cmp()
> separately, so we could leave cmp() total and still make < partial.

What would a typical Sage user expect if s/he types "a<b" on the
command line?
I guess the expected interpretation of "<" is the mathematical one --
hence, if there is no common parent of a and b or if that common
parent is not an ordered algebraic structure then the user may be
unhappy if no TypeError or ArithmeticError is raised.

On the other hand, in programming one sometimes needs a total order
and can ignore algebra (e.g., sorting).

Therefore, Carl's proposal seems reasonable to me. It takes into
account both requirements.

Cheers
   Simon