On 26/08/2008, at 8:15 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

>> Is "not extending of Maxima" a concrete policy?  I understand that
>> maxima
>> sucks in some circumstances, but it seems quite the beast here.
>> I am quite confused about a lot of the pattern matching
>> discussion.  AFAICT,
>> that is the problem for which lisp rocks, and the best way to do it
>> is
>
> I think it's just about getting people to fix it. There are many
> people around who can fix Python/Cython and a little less (I guess)
> who can fix C++ and C. But a lot less who can fix lisp.

I think that could change.  There must be a few experienced
mathematica users who would happily enough pick up lisp as part of
their transition to sage.  Mathematica -> lisp -> sage is surely
easier than mathematica -> python -> sage.

Anyway, it is always better to learn the right tool for the job, than
to rewrite it yourself.  It will be less effort for sage people to
learn lisp than to design and implement a pattern matching language /
domain-specific-language / library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun%27s_Tenth_Rule
"Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc,
informally specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of
Common Lisp."

==================================
David J Philp
Postdoctoral Fellow
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
Building 62, cnr Mills Rd & Eggleston Rd
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 8260
F: +61 2 6125 0740