Live syntax highlighting for the notebook would be awesome.  I'm sure
it would be hard to implement, but have a look at this demonstration
of codemirror:

http://marijn.haverbeke.nl/codemirror/jstest.html

which does live syntax highlighting for javascript in the browser.
The details are pretty nice--note the automatic indentation, and what
happens when you put the caret next to parentheses or curly braces.

The live syntax highlighting in Mathematica 6 made it immensely more
usable for me than previous versions.  You can immediately see when
you've spelled the name of a function incorrectly because it isn't
colored the same, and you can see if you're accidentally reusing a
variable that you defined earlier and then forgot about.

Something for the wishlist.

JM