On Sep 10, 6:35 am, Martin Albrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008, Simon King wrote:
>
> > Dear all,

Hi,

> > what exactly are Sage Days?
>
> Dear Simon (and anyone else who might be wondering),
>
> Sage Days is kind of the catch all name for Sage workshops. Those workshops
> can be organised by different people or groups of people and vary in style.
> Until this workshop in Nancy however, William was always one of the
> organisers, so this one follows a new path:-)

William is an organizer of SD 10.

> One thing that so far all Sage Days had in common is that they were workshops
> to "get stuff done" (TM): usually a considerable amount of time was allocated
> for coding sprints, i.e. everybody works on something related to Sage until
> they run out of steam. "However, like with all of Sage development,
> participants are encouraged to work on whatever they feel will be the most
> productive way for them to spend their time." (http://wiki.sagemath.org/dev1)
>
> Besides these --- usually quite productive --- coding sprints there are also a
> fair number of talks. You can see a list of past workshops on the Wiki:
>
>    http://wiki.sagemath.org/
>
> I'd say one of the reasons Sage has a quite strong community is that these
> workshops happen (quite often), where developers can meet face to face,
> discuss, resolve issues.
>
> > My work on computational group cohomology relies on Sage, so i guess
> > my university would give me travel support for attending Sage Days. On
> > the other hand: I don't know if "using Sage" and "occasionally writing
> > a few lines of code" qualifies for attending Sage Days.
>
> AFAIK there is no requirement for attending a Sage Days except maybe some
> interest in Sage :-)

Yes, if you work on or with Sage it is a good thing to come to a Sage
days. You will likely learn more in a week than in a couple months on
the list.

> Even for 'dev1' a special workshop strictly aimed at Sage developers the Wiki
> writes:
> """
> Anybody can participate, but funding will be aimed primarily at people who
> have demonstrated a substantial ability to contribute to the Sage project.
> (This is not a general Sage statement -- it's just for this workshop.)
> """
>
> So by all means attend :-)
>
> I am not an organiser of this workshop (SD10) though, so I have no clue how
> many places are (still) available. Michael, can you enlighten us?

So far we have never reached capacity. The main room for talks at SD
10 holds a couple hundred people, so I am not too concerned about
hitting that limit at the moment :)

> Cheers,
> Martin

Cheers,