Thanks to all for the practical advice and encouragement, and also to
dphilp for some useful off-list comments.  I definitely don't intend
to try and push anything through that will cause all kinds of
troublesome breakages, and I also don't want to waste lots of my own
time or yours.  I'll probably continue to write proposals like these
if they continue to occur to me, because at the very least, they help
me organize my own thoughts.  But one take away from this discussion
is that it's not realistic to always expect busy people to respond
unless there is some code to look at.  Next time I get a chance to do
a chunk of work, I'll see what I can do about cleaning up some of the
range specifications "breakages" from my table.

Regards,

JM