On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Harald Schilly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi, since it is using android and therefore you can only code inside
> the dalvik java vm and not natively, there will never be a port imo.

Yes, Sage can of course never run under java.  I don't know
jack about Android, but isn't it somehow just Linux+customization,
so won't people inevitably hack it so one can run native binaries,
like they did with the iPhone within days of its release?
Again, I'm naive, having not followed Android at all.

> much better approach would be to create a special notebook interface
> for this kind of webkit based web browser -

We should just modify the sage notebook so when the client
is a gphone it displays differently, just like gmail displays
differently.

> this is the same for iphone and the g1.

I just want to emphasize that the iphone does not have a java
restriction, that Python 2.5 runs natively and quite nicely on the
iphone, and I could imagine Sage being ported to run natively
on the iPhone.  It's not inconceivable.   However, in point of
fact, it would likely feel better to use Sage over the net or
via even Edge/3g than to use Sage natively, since the iphone
processor is going to easily be 5 times slower for serious
math than a good remote server.

This sort of embedded calculator stuff is better left to either
another math project or a "sage lite" branch...  I don't think
that's the sort of thing that really interests the people who
are involved in sage development.  But I'm sure it seriously
interests some group of people...

> Another approach would be to build a special application using Sage as
> a server based service and embedding it a bit better into the android
> application infrastructure. This wouldn't be hard, since you can
> create widgets displaying html content inside an application.

I don't understand this.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics