I have just downloaded and unpacked
http://sage.apcocoa.org/linux/32bit/sage-3.1.2-debian32-intel-i686-Linux.tar.gz

The sage binary is now

~/software/lib/sage/sage

and ~/software/bin/sage links to this place while ~/software/bin is in
my PATH.

Then I read ~/software/lib/sage/devel/sage-main/mercurial-howto.txt. In
particular I found:

-----
QUICK MERCURIAL FOR SAGE (Tutorial)

I assume you've upgraded SAGE to version 1.3.7.3.
Mercurial is then available by default.   It's confusingly
called hg (the chemical symbol for mercury) at the command line.
Do "sage -hg" to run it, or make a link to SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/hg
-----

So I issued

ln -s ~/software/lib/sage/local/bin/hg ~/software/bin/hg

Then running while running "sage -hg help" seems to work "hg help" gives
~/software/lib/sage>hg help
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/hemmecke/software/bin/hg", line 11, in ?
     from mercurial import demandimport; demandimport.enable()
ImportError: No module named mercurial

~/software/lib/sage>type hg
hg is hashed (/home/hemmecke/software/bin/hg)

-----

I run debian etch and have not otherwise installed mercurial.

BTW.