> > I've tried to watch at the videos on Linux using vlc, xine and
> > mplayer but I
> > failed.

Here are the error messages when running

vlc craig_citro.mov

on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy):

VLC media player 0.8.6e Janus
[00000304] mp4 demuxer error: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)
[00000283] main playlist: nothing to play

[..]

> Hmm,
>
> All three play fine using VLC on Mac OS X.

I guess that on Mac OS everthing works fine, since
quicktime is a proprietary format of Apple and perhaps vlc
uses some codec that comes with the operative system.

> I hate
> Ogg Theora. It's a horribly inefficient codec and my
> computer always has difficulty with playing it back
> smoothly. If you want a different codec, you could
> always go for H.264 or MP4. Both play back fine with
> VLC.

We are talking here of two different things here.

One thing is which format is technically better, other thing is how we may
promote the use of free formats and free software.

Mp4 or H.264 could be better technically speaking than ogg-theora, no doubt,
but these formats are proprietary and seems to be covered by patents [1]  and
as we all know, patents are a serious threat to free software.

By releasing our contents  in open formats, we are supporting the freedom of
users to play it using whatever software they choose to use, and the freedom
of developers to create that software.

Pablo

[1] see the discusion in the wikipedia article for H.264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

http://www.copycense.com/2006/02/att_readies_hit.html

(Fortunately, in my country Argentina, our patent law explicitly say that
software is patentable!)