On Dec 5, 1:42 am, Stan Schymanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Stan,

> I think it is a good idea consolidate the capabilities of all these
> functions in show().

Some sprint cleaning in that area would be pretty good. I don't think
there are too many users, but deprecation is the way to go.

>  However, is there a way to deprecate a function
> but still make old code evaluate correctly if it calls this function?
> Perhaps it would just be a matter of changing the docstring to
> 'deprecated, see show()' or something similar, but not actually
> removing the function. I guess it's a trade-off between namespace
> pollution and backwards compatibility.
>
> Stan

Check out MPolynomialRing?? - it was the first thing to be deprecated
in Sage:

sage: MPolynomialRing??
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
String Form:    <function MPolynomialRing at 0x2b9b1d15b938>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /scratch/mabshoff/release-cycle/sage-3.2.2.alpha0/local/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/sage/rings/polynomial/
polynomial_ring_constructor.py
Definition:     MPolynomialRing(*args, **kwds)
Source:
def MPolynomialRing(*args, **kwds):
    from sage.misc.misc import deprecation
    deprecation("MPolynomialRing is deprecated, use PolynomialRing
instead!")
    return PolynomialRing(*args, **kwds)

Things will keep working, but the warning will be printed. After some
time deprecated functionality will be removed (6 months has been
thrown around), but that has not happened yet.

Cheers,

Michael