To use WinSCP start VMware Player session and login as "manage" user.
Switch to root user by typing "sudo su". Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
ensure PermitRootLogin is set to "yes". Download WinSCP from
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php. Start WinSCP and use IP address of
VMware Player as Host name and username "root" and I think the
password is "sage".

Obviously would be better if the files were group writable by another
less powerful user.

Hope that helps.

ps: Still not sold on this Linux under VM is faster than native
Windows. Probably best forget it though.