> Having glanced at the other projects this one seems to be the most
> promising, but it certainly seems rather strange regarding build
> system and so on. I.e. I did not see any obvious way to build the
> kernel as a library for example. There is no meaningful documentation,
> but a longer worded version of RTFS :).  So I did poke around in the
> makefile and build some project foo I made up. Compilation of the 3.0
> release instantly failed because a 4 line comment was in
> fundamental_group.c:

Michael,

It sounds like you're using the version from GeometryGames.org:

http://www.geometrygames.org/SnapPea-old/SnapPea3.html

This has been superseded by the version at

www.math.uic.edu/~t3m/

One of the things that Marc and I fixed was the build system, so the
latter should compile in the usual pythonic way

cd SnapPeaPython/
sage -python setup.py build
sage -python setup.py install

at least on Unix-type operating systems.  Let me know if it doesn't
work for you.

> In any case: Besides the obvious build system cleanup required for
> this to stand a chance to become standard in Sage the licenses has the
> be clear. Currently I see
>
> [...]
>
> If that is the case and the license still forbids commercial use there
> is no chance this code will ever make it into standard Sage. It is
> also worrisome that the last dated release (3.0d3) was dates in 2000.

Jeff later relicensed the code under GPL 2+.   He continues to fix
bugs in the kernel, and Marc and I continue to make small tweaks to
the Python interface (most recently in July of 2008, according to
CVS).

As I mentioned, Marc and I have a new version of the Python interface
using Cython which should be a lot easier to maintain.  We hope to
have it up on web shortly, but for now you can grab a copy at

http://math.uic.edu/~t3m/SnapPy.tgz

This is called SnapPy instead of SnapPea since it's not backward
compatible.

Best,

Nathan