William Stein wrote:

>> 3) I want to use matplotlib for plotting, or maybe some other library,
>> in any case the result will be a png image. Here are couple examples
>> how it can be used in the notebook:
>>
>> http://nb.hpfem.org:8000/home/pub/2/
>> http://nb.hpfem.org:8000/home/pub/3/
>> http://nb.hpfem.org:8000/home/pub/4/
>>
>> Slide to the bottom of the page to see the image. However, I noticed
>> with this approach, that if I update the plotting commands and
>> regenerate the .png image, the result gets messed up sometimes and I
>> had to stop the worksheet, restart it and reevaluate all cells again,
>> then it works. Is this a known problem? What is the workaround?
>
> In sage mode, I've never seen problems like this.  Weird.   It should
> just work.   Maybe this is a problem with using python mode, and the
> directory
> not being properly changed or something.  What happens if you make
> sure all the images have *different* filenames (say something random)?

Is this problem characterized by:

1. Create a plot in a cell

2. change the plotting code, evaluate the cell. Then maybe delete the
cell.  Save the worksheet and come back to it later.

3. Run a different plotting comand, or update a cell.  When you evaluate
the first time, the graphics are old graphics from other cells.
Evaluate All refreshes the graphics, though.

or something like the above?  It seems like the root problem is
something like #5177, where the old image stays around for longer than
it should.

Jason