On 18-Feb-09, at 3:30 PM, Nicolas M. Thiery wrote:

>       Dear Robert,
>
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 03:57:07PM -0800, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to add the following functionality (with
>>> whatever
>>> appropriate syntax):
>>>
>>>     declare_conversion(source, target, morphism)
>>>
>>> which would adds the morphism from source to target to the
>>> conversion
>>> list (and probably similarly for coercions). Having some
>>> restrictions
>>> on it (like making sure it's called before any coercion/conversion
>>> is
>>> attempted) is no problem.

Just for the record, this is exactly what I need.  It's kind of
already there: you can call ._populate_coercion_lists_() with new
information and it will do its best to do what you want.  Of course,
it's risky because the coercion graph isn't always updated correctly,
but in my situations it works reasonably well.

Nick