Ed M. wrote:
> On Jan 30, 12:01 am, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>
>> David Joyner wrote:

>> That said, it looks like we don't distribute the basemap extension to
>> matplotlib by default.  It's big (100MB tarball); it contains lots of
>> data by default.  It would be nice to have an optional spkg, though.
>>
>> To the original poster: it would be very easy for you to install basemap
>> into theSageinstallation.  Let us know if basemap does what you want
>> and if you want instructions for installing it intoSage.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason
>>

> I'm new to this group, as I am searching for an alternative to my
> piecemeal open source tools. Sage seems to be the answer to many of
> the issues I'm dealing with (largely engineering and earth science
> data analysis and visualization). Including basemap in Sage would be a
> great addition. I already use Generic Mapping Tools, and the large
> datasets it includes are not so intimidating in this age of 1TB hard
> drives.
>
> I'd be happy to see some general instructions on installing basemap
> into Sage. Also, if more of the GMT functionality were included in
> basemap that would be even better, but that's not a Sage issue.

If you know how to install basemap, you can just do "sage -sh" and then
follow the instructions for installing basemap and it should install
into Sage.  You can install almost any python package this way.

I've made a ticket to create an optional spkg for basemap here:
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5325.  Do you have experience
install python packages, or would you like to learn?  We'll help you
through the process of making an optional package for basemap in Sage.

Also, this discussion might be more suitable for sage-devel now (since
we are talking about creating an optional spkg).  I've sent a copy of
this message there.

Jason