On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Paul Zimmermann
<paul.zimmerm...@loria.fr> wrote:

> I'm not sure I can post to sage-devel. Anyway, if computing Stirling numbers
> reduces to compute factorial-like expressions, the best algorithm I know is
> due to Schönhage; Cf for example for double factorials:
> http://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2009-January/003510.html
>
> Paul Zimmermann

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I don't see how Schönhage's
factorial algorithm can be adapted to harmonic numbers or Stirling
numbers, due to the way the partial products need to be summed.

A slight improvement to the plain binary splitting method is to factor
out 1/2 to eliminate 25% of the terms. But factoring out larger primes
seems to give rapidly diminished returns, unless there is some clever
way to do it that eludes me.

Fredrik