I agree: composition of power series should only be allowed when the
"inner" one has positive valuation, i.e. zero constant term.  (At
least over an integral domain.  Maybe it's ok if the constant term is
just a zerodivisor, but I cannot think of a situation where that would
be needed!)

It would be quite fun to implement the Nottingham Group which (for
each prime p) is the group of power series over F_p with zero constant
term, under composition.  This is of great interest to a wide range of
number theorists and group theorists.  But I am not an expert.

John