I have just been to a colloquium talk by numerical analyst Nick Higham
(Manchester) called "How to compute and not to compute a matrix
exponential".  He has new methods which are now in mathematica, matlab
and NAG but (apparantly) nowhere else.  He only seemed interested in
getting good speed & precision to 16 decimals but (when I asked)
confirmed that the methods should apply to give arbitrary precision.

I just checked and see that Sage's  matrix exp() uses something stupid
except over RDF/CDF where it uses a pade approximation method via
numpy.  The method of the talk was a variant of that, the main trick
being to use exactly the right order of Pade approx. so maximise
precision and speed.

I would like to know how good the numpy method is, and  whether it can
be improved to this "state of the art" version at least for RDF.  Then
it could be another selling point for Sage.

John