On Feb 28, 6:26 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Minh,

<SNIP>

> > I would not do that. There is very little of networkX left in Sage -
> > at least for all performance critical things and Sage's graph code has
> > been moving further and further away from it. There should be a lot of
> > the graph theory code in the reference manual.
>
> I might be wrong here, but are you suggesting that some time in the
> future NetworkX would no longer be a standard spkg?

No, it is small and useful enough not to warrant removal.

> I think NetworkX
> wasn't designed to be as blazingly fast/efficient as possible; it was
> designed as a tool for research in social network analysis (SNA). As
> such, NetworkX has implementations for calculating many fundamental
> metrics in the area of SNA. Of course it's good to have fast/efficient
> implementations, but I wouldn't want to re-implement in Sage features
> for calculating SNA metrics that are already in NetworkX. The core
> developers of NetworkX are researchers in SNA and they're pretty
> familiar with SNA metrics. This is a matter of mixing and choosing
> here: we include those features from an upstream project that are
> "good" and "well-tested"; and we implement features in Sage that would
> result in efficient/fast computations or pretty visualizations.

Well, if I think "graph theory" I think the code Robert Miller and
Jason Grout have been working on, especially Robert with the new
Cython based backend which is orders of magnitude (~50 times I
believe) than NetworkX. Back in the day I was told that the NetworkX
people wanted to stay with a pure python backend, but it seems now
they are either starting or have changed their minds. Either way,
Robert should comment, but he is busy with real life stuff until the
5th, so we will see then what he has to say.

> <SNIP>
>
> > The best thing for you to do would be to work on something you are
> > passionate about :)
>
> I'm currently passionate about using graph-theoretic tools to study
> social network analysis :-)

:)

Cheers,

Michael