Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the above site, I notice the following dot point:
>
> "credit: young people, publication record"
>
> I'm not sure why this point would be under the list of things that
> disturb anyone about the direction in which Sage is going. Perhaps I
> don't understand the list heading correctly. Is it possible that
> someone please explain that point?

This is a complaint about contributing to mathematical software in general,
and it's not specific to Sage.  The point of it was this: at least in North
America, it is difficult for an academic who contributes to mathematical
software to receive academic credit for it; that is, if someone is applying
for academic jobs, or going up for tenure, or applying for promotion, there
is basically no way for the person's contributions to math software to be
taken into account.  This is quite critical for graduate students or
postdocs applying for jobs, or for tenure-track people trying to make sure
they'll get tenure.

It is a tricky point, not sufficiently understood, and over which
mathematicians tend to disagree.  It is also hard to classify: if I write
functions for computing with surfaces in 3-dimensions in Sage, this could be
considered research (if I have to come up with some clever algorithm for
doing it) or service to the community (others can use these functions in
their research or for teaching).  What if I just take code that's already
there but I clean it up and document it better and extend it and make it
more usable?  It is very easy for someone to say: "That's not really doing
mathematics." (this is an actual quote)

The emphasis in judging someone's record in academia is on research output
(in terms of quality and quantity of their publications) and/or their
teaching credentials.  Writing software falls in an ill-defined gray area,
no matter how useful this is for the community at large.  I don't see this
changing drastically in the near future, but hopefully we can help build up
more awareness and appreciation of it.  A few ways of doing this were
discussed at SD14: emphasising the referee process for inclusion of code
into Sage, having a journal associated with Sage, finding out what
mechanisms are in place in countries that try to deal with this problem (I
think France was given as an example).

A meta-comment: I basically just wrote down snippets of what people were
saying in that discussion.  I will try to go through it and expand a little
bit.  Also for the technical parts (which are amenable to "send me a patch")
I will create enhancement trac tickets so they don't get lost.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne --
Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/