I think that $\mathbb{F}_{p}$ is now pretty universal, and the old
"Galois Field" GF seem a bit old-fashioned -- mathematical notation
prefers single letters, perhaps in fancy fonts, while computer
languages prefer longer names with fonts!

So I would be happy for the command \GF{p} to look like
$\mathbb{F}_{p}$ in latex/html, as it is also quite readable in plain
text.

John