On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:44:15PM +0100, Florent Hivert wrote:

>       Dear Hazem,
>
> > Can anybody confirm that MuPAD was open source / viewable source at
> > one time (when it was at the University of Paderborn), and if so,
> > where to obtain the source?
>
> If it was fully open it was at its very beginning (ie prior version 1.4 in
> 2000). The library which contains the full mathematical knowledge was
> distributed in it's source form in a tarball and so was more or less open
> source. As far as I know, the source of the kernel (which contains the
> interpreter and basic data structures handling (numbers, expression,
> polynomials) was never released. Some peoples had access to it under NDA.

As far as I know it has never been fully open. In fact, except for the
pricing changes (from free, to non free, to matlab-style price), the
situation has never really changed (i.e. as Florent mentioned viewable
sources for the library for every MuPAD user, viewable kernel sources
under NDA for some people).

At some point we almost were able to negotiate the release of the
library under open source. And then the university fired the group,
and the idea was dropped.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/