Hi,

One can always work around a problem, but it would be
better to discuss the best approach and put this in place.

A related problem I had recently was in finding a random
element of GL_n(ZZ/26ZZ) where n was 20-30.  It was
failing to terminate in the determinant computation.  My
guess is that a  determinant over ZZ was being computed
and reduced but that the resulting determinant was too big.
I didn't verify this, but invite someone to check.

Instead I worked around this by computing the determinants
mod 2 and mod 13 and using CRT (if the determinants were
both units).  The time was then almost trivial.  Suppose I
replace this problem over ZZ/25ZZ or ZZ/256ZZ. I would
still hope that the problem would NOT be lifted to ZZ for
computation, since this would certainly not terminate in
reasonable time for a dense matrix.

Taking the approach of lifting to ZZ for charpolys of matrices
of non-trivial size will undoubtably lead to exactly the same
coefficient explosion which is the presumed source of the
problem with determinants over ZZ/26ZZ.

--David