I've been wrestling with this a few days and can't quite figure out
whats wrong.

I'm trying to install Google Protocol Buffers in sage-3.4 which used
to go without a hitch in previous versions.  I've successfully
installed qt-45, vtk, the enthought Mayavi2 suite etc., all of which
are larger and somewhat more complex.  With all these packsges, I
first source sage-env which doesn't cause problems.

Protobuf uses a configure script and installs without problems in
general (I'm on Ubuntu 8.10).  But, if I source $SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/
sage-env, the configure fails, complaining about not being able to
delete a directory.  make subsequently fails as well.

I've successfully installed protobuf by hand-jamming the environment
variables and install prefix (i.e. not sourcing sage-env).  So far so
good so I have a workaround...

But, I'm concerned that sage-env causes this to fail

Instead of providing the output spew, if anyone is interested in
trying just to see:

Assuming you're working from $SAGE_ROOT

download: http://protobuf.googlecode.com/files/protobuf-2.0.3.tar.bz2

. ./local/bin/sage-env
tar xf protobuf-2.0.3.tar.bz2
cd protobuf-2.0.3
./configure --prefix=$SAGE_LOCAL
make

protobuf is pretty widely used so I'm fairly sure there isn't anything
too strange going on there but can't say for certain.  Unfortunately,
this kind of configure makes it difficult to see what might be going
wrong.

-glenn