Hi everybody

On Apr 13, 6:57 pm, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So there are these buttons at the top of my worksheets saying "Save",
> "Save & quit", "Discard & quit".  What do they do?  Do we need them?
> Random comments:
>
> It seems to me that right now, "Save & quit" and "Discard & quit" do
> the same thing: return to the list of active worksheets. For example,
> I just opened a worksheet, made a tiny little change and hit "Discard
> & quit".  When I reopened the worksheet, the change was visible -- it
> hadn't been discarded. So is there any actual difference between the
> two? Should there be? If not, they should be consolidated into one
> button: "Quit worksheet" or "Close worksheet".

I'd like to add my opinion. I think that the actual behavior is the
most safe for my needs. It often happens to me that the notebook hangs
on some complex calculation (sometimes it's just my fault!), and
"interrupt" doesn't necessarily get me back the control of the
notebook. Sometimes I can switch back to the home page and then get
the notebook at the very same point where I was before the problem.

So my point is that, in my opinion, getting the worksheet
automatically saved each time a cell is modified or added, is a good
thing (for me at least), and I'd like to keep this as an option, at
least, if you decide to change the standard behavior. So, would be
possible to keep a backup of the worksheet (when we open it), and then
start working on the original worksheet, and then restore the original
copy, if and only if the user decide to "discard" the changes? I know
this is not really the standard way software are designed, but this
seems to make sense to me.

Regards

Maurizio