On Apr 24, 4:10 am, Lloyd  Kilford <l.kilf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Lloyd,

> I have downloaded the images of versions 3.4 and 3.4.1 to run under
> VMware, but I get the following error message when I try to run sage:
>
> WARNING: This Sage install was built on a machine that supports
> instructions that are not available on this computer ... The following
> processor flags were on the build machine but are not on this
> computer:
>
> pni
>
> Can someone look into this, please?

The problem in general is that your computer does not have SSE3
instructions that were used when building Sage leading to "illegal
instrucion - aborted" errors during the runtime. So we added a check
to warn users about it. So far, so good, but Sage 3.4.1 was supposed
to fix this by introducing an SSE2 only mode and William told me that
he build the Sage in the VMWare image in that mode.

I would suspect this is a SNAFU since the env variable that William
thought would get used SAGE_SIMD_FLAG is not the correct one, i.e. it
is SAGE_SIMD_MODE. So I expect we will rebuild the VMWare image as
well as the farm binaries and SkyNet once again right now :(

Ironically there is a ticket against 3.4.2 to document this in
README.txt - oh well ....

Cheers,

Michael