On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Alfredo Portes <doyenatc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>  Does it
>>> make sense to integrate it?   Is it even feasible to do that?
>>
>> No, it would be a copyright violation to integrate OpenModelica and
>> Sage in any way. OpenModelica is licensed under a GPL-incompatible
>> license.   I found the statement
>> "  [Comment: note that the OSMC Public License, also its OSMC-GPL
>> mode, is different from
>>   and incompatible with GPL. Therefore it is not possible to include
>> any GPL-licensed
>>   contribution into OpenModelica.]"
>>
>> here
>>
>> http://www.ida.liu.se/labs/pelab/modelica/OpenModelica/Documents/LICENSE.txt
>
> Hi William,
>
> Sorry didn't want to spam the list and probably I am wrong.
>
> What I understand from reading the license is that it is GLP3 plus
> the condition that if another program calls it must be open source
> (which it is not a GLP
> requirement). I see that the contributions cannot go back to
> OpenModelica as GPL3, but
> I do not see how it cannot be used or integrated with SAGE because of
> this. Again I am
> probably wrong.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alfredo

Sage cannot include any code that is not licensed GPLv2+ compatible
(well, we also include some GPLv3+ code).    As OpenModelica's license
is very much not GPLv3+ compatible, it can't be included with Sage.
Any license that is GPLv3+additional conditions is -- by definition --
not GPLv3 compatible.  I like that in the OpenModelica license they
don't try to be sneaky -- they are crystal clear that they are adding
conditions, hence making their code not GPL-compatible.

Of course, I wish the OpenModelica author's had read and taken to
heart the article "Make Your Open Source Software GPL-Compatible. Or
Else.":
  http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

William