On Apr 29, 11:06 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:20 AM, mark mcclure <mcmcc...@unca.edu> wrote:
> > The Q&A session includes several pointed
> > questions surrounding open source and freedom of access
> > to data.  Some folks here might find the responses
> > interesting.
>
> Somebody asks why Mathematica/etc. is so closed, and he basically
> answers that for 10 years a lot of the Calculus code was included with
> Mathematica, but "*nobody* read it ...".  Then he says about one
> function "it would take many Ph.D. theses of work to go through and
> figure out what all this code is doing."   He's asked by the moderator
> whether he has is philosophically against including source code, and
> he says "no".

Well, I said you might find it "interesting", not  "enlightened".  :)

I think a lot of people on this group know that I'm a Mathematica
user and I hope you don't think I was forwarding this as a
representative of my views.  Personally, I'm pretty middle of the
road when it comes to open source philosophy.  I'm primarily
interested in Sage because I think it is a very good tool.  I
would care less about Sage if it was open source, but not so good.
I think the general concept of open source is great, but maybe
not for some of the same reasons that folks here think.  In
particular, I think it's great that I can look at source code to
learn and understand how things work. I think, though, that the
statement that you need open source in order to have verifiable
results is not really true.  The fact is that bugs are found via
experimentation, not by reading source code.  Furthermore, many
traditional papers have errors, in spite of an extensive review
process, or use results that the author has not fully digested.
(I hope I'm still allowed on the group. :)

On the other hand, I'll happily go on record as saying that I find
Wolfram's explanation of "Why You Do Not Usually Need to Know
about Internals" personally offensive.  You can read that here:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/WhyYouDoNotUsuallyNeedToKnowAboutInternals.html

The funny thing about that statement is that no one who believes
it could possibly be inquisitive enough to be employed in a
technical position at Wolfram in the first place.  I honestly
assume that virtually nobody there believes it.

Mark