mabshoff wrote:
>> I think this should be documented somewhere so others don't fall into
>> the same trap.  Thanks.
>
> Cool. Thanks for telling us - I have made this #5961.

Glad to be of some assistance.  BTW, the .pydistutils.cfg will affect
any new spkg installs also since distutils will always pick it up.
There is a Python issue for this too:

  http://bugs.python.org/issue1180

So one option would be to backport the patch to the Python version you
ship and always invoke setup.py such that it ignores the
.pydistutils.cfg.  Of course, a simple test script that looks for the
file and warns the user (like the macports warning/error) would also work.

cheers,
prabhu