Here at Sage Days 15, William Stein gave a presentation on the future
of Sage in which one of the issues was improved statistics support.
While we include statistics functionality vis R, rpy, and scipy.stats,
that functionality is not unified and has usability problems (for
example, plots in R are somewhat difficult to get working correctly
within Sage).

So I have started a file basic_stats.py in the stats directory, with a
ridiculously simple start:

Before moving forward too much I think it would be useful to have some
thoughts on some issues with this:

1) What functions should be in the namespace by default?  I am
starting with mean, variance, and standard deviation (std), but it is
unclear to me what else should be there.

2) How much code should we reuse from scipy.stats and R?  Presumably
the code in R is more robust, but scipy is more python- and sage-
friendly.

3) Related to 1), what are the most commonly used statistics
functions?  What is needed to teach most undergraduate statistics and
probability courses?

-M. Hampton