>> Z is also a ring without one, i.e., Ring should inherit from Rng.
>
> Definitely. And this is the case.
>
>> I would rather say that Rng is a "ring" that *doesn't claim* the
>> existence of 1.
>
> Yup, it's like non-associative rings of which rings are a special case.
> Now, I need a better name than RingsThatDoNotClaimExistenceOfOne().

Although, when I first saw Rng in Axiom, I didn't understand why the
programmers used something that looked like an abbreviation. But, in
fact, I somehow like that name. It makes it pretty obvious that the
'identity' is somehow hidden or non-existent.

If you don't like Rng, then what about PseudoRing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-ring

But actually, Rng looks more intuitive. Is clear enough (or even
clearer), and shorter than PseudoRing ;-). But it seems that also
PseudoRing is quite a good name.

And I am sure you have also found the following for Rig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-ring

Compare also
http://books.google.at/books?id=roEx6lkAp10C&dq=Jonathan+S.+Golan,+Semirings+and+their+applications&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=jI4yTSEBOZ&sig=CgCZ_07yz0qI_EUTLs2NAChAVYw&hl=de&ei=n_gcSqnSF4yHsAaQyOzQCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
Chapter one.

Looks like a Semiring/Rig is *not* what you originally described as

 >>>  - Rig: Ring without 0
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/bd5d8a5ad2103c57

Ralf