I use SA on a daily basis and its feature set is awesome.

I recommend to you using the declarative layer

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/ormtutorial.html#creating-table-class-and-mapper-all-at-once-declaratively
This makes it easier to you, to jump into SA.
Moreover, the declarative extension is officially supported on the SA
mailing list.
There exists also an o'Reilly book on SA.

Michael