On Jun 5, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Mike Hansen wrote:

> This is not what the notation means.  D[0](f) represented the the
> derivative of f with respect to the first argument.  D[0,0](f)
> represents taking the derivative with respect to that argument twice.
> Thus, you can have expressions like
>
> D[0,0,1](f)(x,y)

Sorry, it's slightly different than the Maple notation, which I
often forget since I don't use it.

D[0](f) seems strange when there is only one argument.

I still hate the notation. It's also fairly non-standard notation. At
least in Maple, it's mostly optional. Some functions require it, but
there is a function to convert to and from that notation when necessary.

It's bad enough that Sage uses row vectors when most linear algebra
texts use columns (at least in North America). I'd prefer that Sage
stick to traditional notation.

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey