> I want to reopen this thread.

Great!  matplotlib under Sage is still broken for me because of this
issue - I would love to see this resolved.

> I have a build farm with many (nearly 20) different OS's that all build and
> test
> Sage in parallel.  My home directory on each of those machines is NFS exported
> and shared.  I sometimes have tests fail because all these different
> Sage's are trying to write to the same $HOME/.matplotlib directory
> (for temp files, configuration, etc.).
> For Sage itself, I set SAGE_HOME to a fast local scratch disk (on each
> machine), which completely solves any contention problems for
> *everything* related to Sage temp files, configuration, etc., with the
> notable exception of matplotlib.

I hadn't thought of this issue, but it is another good reason to not
use $HOME/.matplotlib for the Sage matplotlib.

> Thus I would also prefer it if
> Sage's matplotlib directory were under SAGE_HOME instead of it being
> the default $HOME/.matplotlib.
>
> Thoughts?

I think the simplest solution is to have Sage set:

export MPLCONFIGDIR=$SAGE_HOME/matplotlib

But, wait, does SAGE_HOME point to $HOME/.sage by default?  That is
the right place for this, I just don't remember exactly where
SAGE_HOME points.

I don't even think we need to put a default matplotlibrc file there,
so we don't have to worry about it becoming out of date.  If people
want to add their own matplotlibrc file to this directory they can,
but the default will be that matplotlib works.

Cheers,

Brian